Cancer prevention has never been more delicious than this: The zingy combination of ginger and chili can actually protect you from the deadly disease. A recent study by the American Chemical Society (ACS) has found that specific properties in the two spices combined can effectively inhibit tumor growth receptors, the DailyMail.co.uk reported. For the study, the research team from ACS focused on lung cancer-prone mice. The mice were fed capsaicin (a compound that can be found in chili), 6-gingerol (a compound that can be found in ginger), or both. The results showed that mice that were given capsaicin developed lung cancer. Meanwhile, only half of the ones that received 6-gingerol developed the disease. Those who were given the capsaicin and 6-gingerol combination displayed the lowest incidence of cancer, at only 20 percent.
This led scientists to conclude that while capsaicin has been found to promote tumor growth, its interactions with 6-gingerol can actually inhibit the growth of tumors. While scientists have yet to discover what it is exactly about the combination of chili and ginger that makes it so potent against cancer, one thing’s for sure: These are two ingredients everyone should be using more of in the kitchen.
Prevent cancer in the kitchen
Of course, ginger and chili are just two of the many natural food combinations you can include in your diet to reduce your risk for cancer. An earlier article on NaturalNews.com said that research reveal how certain foods, while powerless or even harmful alone (as in the case of chili), provide a synergistic protection from the disease when taken with other ingredients. The article notes that supplements do not work in this situation; rather, the combination must be made up of whole foods eaten together to achieve effective prevention.
An article on MensHealth.com offered a list of the healthiest food combinations, based on various studies. The ones that are best for fighting cancer include:
- Tomatoes and Avocados – The fat in avocados improves the absorption of lycopene, a strong antioxidant found in tomatoes, the article said.
- Broccoli and Tomatoes – This combination has been proven to shrink prostate cancer tumors in rats, though scientists have yet to figure out how.
- Apples and Chocolate – Apples contain quercetin, which is known to reduce the risk of prostate and lung cancer; powerful when combined with chocolate, which contains catechin, an antioxidant that also reduces the risk for cancer.
- Soy and Salmon – Scientists point to the amount of vitamin D in both ingredients as component that protects against colon and prostate cancer.
- Red Meat and Rosemary – The antioxidants in rosemary were found to reduce the carcinogens in grilled red meat, cancelling out its cancerous properties.
- Turmeric and Black Pepper – Turmeric’s anti-cancer properties are no secret, but eaten on its own, has low bioavailability, which is significantly increased by pepper.
At the same time, there are certain foods you want to avoid if you’re trying to lower your cancer risk; chief of which are red and processed meat, which increases the risk of developing certain forms of cancer. Many studies have associated hot dogs, beef, and cold cuts to a colon cancer, rectal cancer, and even breast cancer. Scientists suspect that carcinogens from the cooking process of these meats lead to the cancer connection. Other food items to avoid include alcohol (if more than the moderate amount), as well as saturated fat.
Keep this in mind every time you decide what to eat, and you may keep the cancer away.